Am I Dependent?
Ask yourself these twenty questions. Persons with chemical dependency problems usually answer yes to at least seven of the twenty questions.
1. Do you lose time from work due to using drugs?
2. Does using make your home life unhappy?
3. Does using affect your reputation?
4. Do you ever feel remorse after using?
5. Does using cause a decrease in your ambition or efficiency?
6. Do you ever become physically ill due to your using?
7. After using, do you feel you may as well use again since life is a chaotic mess anyway?
8. Do you use until your last dollar is gone?
9. Do you ever sell or borrow to pay for your using?
10. Are you reluctant to use “drug money” for normal expenditures?
11. Does using make you careless about the welfare of your family?
12. Do you ever use more than you planned?
13. Do you ever use to escape worry or trouble?
14. Has your using led to legal problems?
15. Does using cause you to have difficulty sleeping?
16. Do arguments, disappointments, or frustrations create within you an urge to use?
17. Do you have an urge to celebrate good times—or mourn bad times—by using?
18. Do you ever consider self-destruction as a result of your using?
19. Has using caused you to lose focus on your spirituality?
20. Has using caused you constant inner turmoil?
The above questions are useful but not to be considered a diagnosis. For proper diagnosis of your condition, Screening and Assessment by professionally trained personnel is required.